A portion of General Major von Le Coq‘s Grafschaft Bentheim map (1805) depicting Höcklenkamp. Gesina Broene was born here in 1862.
Gesina Broene was born on May 12, 1862 in Höcklenkamp to Harm Hendrik Broene and his third wife, Jennechien Dyke. She was the third child born to her mother and the seventh born to her father. In 1865, Gesina emigrated from Grafschaft Bentheim to Graafschap, Michigan, along with her parents, five half–siblings, and three siblings. She was three years old.
Gesina Broene Marries Derk Arens
August 26 1882, Gesina married Derk Arens (born on March 14, 1858). He was a farmer. Together they had thirteen children:
- Gezina—Sena was born on June 21, 1883 and married Edward Ter Haar;
- Jennigje—Jennie was born June 21, 1884 and married Harry Nienhuis. She was named after her maternal grandmother;
- Hendrije—Hattie was born on October 10, 1885 and married Frank Brandsen;
- Herman—Harm was born on March 13, 1887 and died December 31, 1903;
- Geertje—Gertrude was born on October 17, 1888 and married Gerrit Mulder;
- Kaatje—Kate was born on October 15, 1889 and married John Rozema Jr.;
- John—John was born on January 4, 1893 and married Dena Mulder;
- Geesje—Grace was born on April 5, 1894 and married Henry Dams;
- Jacobus—Jacob was born on September 9, 1895 and married Dena Voss and Sophia Vander Kamp;
- Hendrikus—Richard was born on July 26, 1897 and married Christina Zager;
- Dick—born on July 13, 1899 and married Jennie Raak.
- George—born on July 26, 1901, died August 1901; and
- Baby—born and died on November 7, 1902.
Gesina Broene Arens died on December 16, 1933. Her husband Derk died on August 25, 1943.
Back row: Jennie, Gertrude, Kate, Hattie, John. Middle row: Grace and Jack. Front row: Gesina, Richard, Sena, Dick, Derk. The portrait is of son Herman. He died while the family was digging a well. They hit a gas pocket in the ground, resulting in an explosion.
Do you have more information to add to this article? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!