Jan Hendrik Broene
Jan Hendrik Broene was born on June 18, 1849 in Höcklenkamp, the fifth of six children born to Harm Hendrik Broene and Kunnegien Nyboer. He emigrated from Grafschaft Bentheim in 1865 to Graafschap, Michigan, along with his father, stepmother Jennechien Dyke, four siblings, and four step-siblings. From Graafschap he later moved to Grand Rapids, where he owned and operated a hardware store.
Jan Hendrik Broene Family
Jan Hendrik married Sara Piers (March 9, 1858—January 30, 1945) on May 10, 1877. They had seven children, with three surviving to adulthood:
- Harm Henry—born February 20, 1878, died August 12, 1965;
- Dena—born April 1, 1879, died February 12, 1880;
- Dena—born November 29, 1880, died December 19, 1880;
- Dena—born December 10, 1881, died July 21, 1925;
- Kate—born January 4, 1884, died April 20, 1978;
- Gertie—born November 9, 1885, died October 30, 1889; and
- John—born October 15, 1887, died May 27, 1890.
Jan Hendrik died on November 8, 1904.
Jan Hendrik’s family. Left to right: wife Sarah, Kate, Harm Henry, Dena, and Jan Hendrik.
Do you know anything more about Jan Hendrik and his family? Leave a comment in the box below so that we can add your information. Thank you!