At the age of seven, Hendrik emigrated to the U.S. with his parents and three siblings aboard the S.S. Schiedam. After arriving in New York on May 14, 1883, the family traveled to Michigan, where they first lived in the Overisel area before moving to a farm in Allendale.
- Jan (John)—born November 15, 1873 in Uelsen;
- Frederik—born December 20, 1879 in Uelsen;
- Geerdjen (Gertrude)—born May 29, 1881 in Halle;
- Benjamin—born in March, 1885 in Allendale;
- Fannye—born in May, 1887 in Allendale;
- Garet—born ca. 1890, died November 17, 1895 in Allendale; and,
- Albert—born February 26, 1893, died October, 1950.
Hendrik never married. He died in Allendale on February 2, 1946 and was buried in the Allendale Township Cemetery.
Hendrik’s gravestone in Allendale, Michigan.
Do you have more information to add to this biography? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!