At the age of two, Geerdjen emigrated to the U.S. with her parents and three siblings aboard the S.S. Schiedam. After arriving in New York on May 14, 1883, the family traveled to Michigan, where they first lived in the Overisel area before moving to a farm in Allendale.
- Jan (John)—born November 15, 1873 in Uelsen;
- Hendrik (Henry)—born Jun 8, 1876 in Halle;
- Frederik—born December 20, 1879 in Uelsen;
- Benjamin—born in March, 1885 in Allendale;
- Fannye—born in May, 1887 in Allendale;
- Garet—born ca. 1890, died November 17, 1895 in Allendale; and,
- Albert—born February 26, 1893, died October, 1950.
Gertje Veldhuis Marries Johannes Piers
Gertje Veldhuis married Johannes Piers on October 20, 1902 in Pearline (Allendale Township). Born on May 16, 1876, Johannes was the son of Geert Piers and Zwaantje Wolts, two emigrants from Grafschaft Bentheim. Johannes and Gertje had the following children:
- Susan—born January 2, 1904;
- Lydia—born September 21, 1905;
- Georgianna—born April 3, 1910;
- Gerrit—born January 4, 1912;
- Julius—born March 25, 1918; and,
- Irene M.—born 1927.
Gertje died on May 18, 1948, and Johannes on February 2, 1959. They were buried in the Graafschap Cemetery.
Johannes and Gertje Veldhuis Piers’ grave markers in Graafschap, Michigan.
Do you have more information to add to this biography? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!