A portion of General Major von Le Coq‘s Grafschaft Bentheim map (1805) depicting the city of Uelsen. Frederik Veldhuis was born here in 1879.
Frederik (Fred) Veldhuis was born on December 20, 1879 in Uelsen. His parents were Gerrit Hendrik Veldhuis and Lütte Alfering of Halle.
At the age of four, Frederik emigrated to the U.S. with his parents and three siblings aboard the S.S. Schiedam. After arriving in New York on May 14, 1883, the family traveled to Michigan, where they first lived in the Overisel area before moving to a farm in Allendale.
His parents Gerrit and Lütte had three other children in Grafschaft Bentheim and at least four more in Michigan:
- Jan (John)—born November 15, 1873 in Uelsen;
- Hendrik (Henry)—born Jun 8, 1876 in Halle;
- Geerdjen (Gertrude)—born May 29, 1881 in Halle;
- Benjamin—born in March, 1885 in Allendale;
- Fannye—born in May, 1887 in Allendale;
- Garet—born ca. 1890, died November 17, 1895 in Allendale; and,
- Albert—born February 26, 1893, died October, 1950.
Frederik Veldhuis’ Marriage
On December 10, 1910, Frederik Veldhuis married Geesje Prijs in Rusk (Allendale Township). Geesje, or Grace, emigrated at the age of two from Emmen, Province of Drenthe in 1893. They joined the Allendale Christian Reformed Church on March 26, 1911.
On May 6, Grace prematurely gave birth to a boy, who lived for 30 minutes before passing away. Grace died on May 16, 1911 and was buried in the Allendale Township Cemetery.
Fred died on September 17, 1947 and was buried alongside his wife.
Do you have more information to add to this biography? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!