Albert Walkotte (1824)
A portion of General Major von Le Coq‘s Grafschaft Bentheim map (1805) depicting the town of Tinholt. Albert Walkotte was born here in in 1824.
Albert Walkotte was born on January 20, 1824 in Tinholt and baptized on January 25. He was the son of Hendrik Jan Walkotte and Willemina Meyer (Meijer). He worked as a Ackerbauer, or farmer. In 1848 Albert emigrated to Michigan along with his parents, sister, and most of his brothers. His brothers Harm and Hendrick stayed in Germany (Harm emigrated in 1880).
Albert Walkotte’s Family
On May 17, 1855, Albert married Jantje Mast. She was born in Staphorst, Overijssel, Netherlands on December 25, 1834. They had twelve children:
1. Mina—called Minnie in English, was born around 1856;
2. Hendrik—called Henry, was born in 1857;
3. Klaasje—called Clara, was born in 1858;
4. Hendrikje—called Henrietta, was born in 1860;
5. Gerret—was born around 1862;
6. Lena—was born in 1863;
7. Jan—called John, was born around 1867;
8. Albert—was born in 1867;
9. Klaas—was born in 1867;
10. Herm—called Harm or Hiram, was born in 1871;
11. Aaltje—called Alice, was born in 1872; and
12. Jentje—called Jennie, was born in 1876.
After Jantje’s death on June 2, 1899 in Overisel Township, Michigan, Albert married Elizabeth Noordhuis on August 3, 1904 in New Era, Michigan. She had been born in Wierum, Adorp, Groningen, Netherlands on December 13, 1838.
Albert Walkotte passed away on March 3, 1912 in Shelby Township, Michigan. His second wife Elizabeth died on March 23, 1916 in New Era.
Do you have more information to add to this article? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!