Albert emigrated to Fillmore Township, Allegan County, Michigan, along with his brother Lambert Kraker and sister–in–law, Aleida Wieferink. They departed from Rotterdam and arrived in New York City on December 24, 1873.
Albert Kraker’s Marriage To Hermina Knoper
According to the 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Albert was a farmer, and he and Hermina had two daughters by this time, Geertjen and Zwaantje; the Krakers were living a few houses away from his brother Lambert’s family in Fillmore Township. This situation would soon change.
In the fall of 1881, Albert walked to Allendale, where he looked at some farms for sale and decided to buy one. The following spring, the Kraker family moved to Allendale. Today, this farm on 68th Avenue is a Centennial Farm.
This portion of the 1912 plat map of Allendale Township, Michigan shows the property owned by Albert Kraker. The original 80–acre farm is on the west side of 68th Avenue.
The Albert and Hermina Kraker Family
In Allendale, Albert and Hermina Kraker would have 13 more children, for a total of 14:
- Geertje (Gertie)—born January 3, 1878;
- Zwaantje (Susan)—born May 17, 1880;
- Peter—born October 12, 1881;
- Henry—born April 14, 1883;
- Garret (Gerrit)—born October 17, 1884;
- Fanny—born October 18, 1893;
- John—born October 17, 1885;
- Harmon (Harm)—born February 23, 1888;
- Bert—born June 13, 1889;
- George—born February 20, 1895;
- Benjamin H.—born December 16, 1896.
- Hermina (Minnie)—born May 13, 1900;
- Albert—born December 10, 1897; and,
- Herman—born October 16, 1891.
Albert and Hermina Kraker’s family. Back row: Bert, Gerrit, Henry, Susan, John, and Harm. Middle row: George, Peter, father Albert, Herman, Albert Jr., mother Hermina, Gertie, Fannie. Front row: Minnie and Ben.
Albert Kraker died on December 25, 1912 and was buried in the Allendale Township Cemetery. Hermina Knoper Kraker died on April 11, 1926 and was buried alongside him.
Do you have more information to add to this biography? Leave a comment in the box below. Include your name and email address so we can contact you. Thank you!